Nonprofit Tools & Resources
Nonprofit Tools & Resources
Reimagining Service believes that one way to increase the impact of volunteering is to learn more and adopt, as appropriate, several effective characteristics of volunteer engagement. Research from Deloitte and TCC Group has identified eight characteristics as consistent and critical practices for maximizing volunteer impact; below you'll find resources on six of those characteristics.
- Let's Talk about Partnerships
The 2014 Reimagining Service Forum at the Conference on Volunteering and Service focused on the topic of maximizing volunteer impact through effective cross-sector partnerships. Find out from the participants their point of view on how to create and sustain fruitful volunteer engagement partnerships with companies.
- 2014 Update: 12 Key Actions of Volunteer Program Champions, CEOs Who Lead the Way
In a 2014 update, Reimagining Service revisits Betty Stallings' 2005 work, 12 Key Actions of Volunteer Program Champions: CEOs Who Lead the Way, to find out if the actions identified by Stallings have changed in the past decade.
- What Leaders of Volunteers can DO to Gain Executive Attention
Brief article on how a volunteer manager can better educate and gain the support of his/her organization to increase volunteer capacity
- Strategic Volunteer Engagement: A Guide for Nonprofit and Public Sector Leaders
Provides a framework to approach volunteer management and volunteer investment
Additional Literature on Executive Leadership
- From The Top Down: The Executive Role in Successful Volunteer Involvement
Low-cost guide that highlights strategies to develop executive-level support for volunteering
- 12 Key Actions of Volunteer Program Champions: CEOs Who Lead the Way
Free booklet that summarizes 12 key actions for CEO support of volunteering based on interviews with CEOs who champion volunteer engagement
- Leading the Way to Successful Volunteer Involvement
Low-cost book, including worksheets and practical tips, for executives to develop strong volunteer organizational practices
Strategic Resource Allocation
- Educational Brief: Return on Investment
This resource looks at recent research spotlighting returns on investment from volunteer engagement and tools for calculating a return on investment.
- Volunteer2's Return on Investment Calculators
There are three Return on Investment (ROI) Calculators - 1) Basic Reporting Calculator; 2) Basic Predictive Calculator; and 3) Advanced Predictive Calculator - created by Volunteer2 to assist your organization in determining the value of your volunteer investments over time to help guide decision making. You can also listen to the audio of the April 22013 webinar in mp3 format, fast forward 10 minutes for the official start to the webinar and read follow-up responses to two questions.
- Recognise, Support, Invest: Your Guide to Valuing Volunteer Management
Free guide to assist your organization with investing allocating resources to support volunteer management
- The New Volunteer Workforce
Scholarly article on maximizing volunteer impact and increasing organizational capacity
Additional Literature on Strategic Resource Allocation
- Budgeting for and Funding Volunteer Involvement
Specifically, chapter 3 of low-cost book, Leading the Way to Successful Volunteer Involvement outlines budgeting for volunteer engagement and methods of generating funding for it
- Everyone Ready ® Volunteer Management Skill-Building Program
An in-depth paid training program for your workforce on 39 critical volunteer management topics produced by Energize, Inc. This quality online training program - Flash® seminars, self-instruction guides, discussion boards and more - is taught by an international cohort of faculty with expertise in volunteerism.
- Readiness Roadmap
A free resource that outlines eight steps for nonprofits as they prepare for pro bono services, created by the Nonprofit Collaborative convened by Capital One Financial Corporation in partnership with Common Impact, Points of Light, and Taproot Foundation.
- A Guide to Training Volunteers
An extensive manual on different approaches to volunteer training and on how/when to execute those approaches
- Best Practice Guidelines For Screening Volunteers: Finding the Right Match
A 10-step guide for volunteer screening
Additional Literature on Effective Training
- Training Busy Staff to Succeed with Volunteers: 55-Minute Staff Training Series
Series includes 12 modules to train staff to effectively engage and manage volunteers
- Volunteer Management Practices and Retention of Volunteers
List of best practices and research related to effective practices for managing volunteers, including setting expectations and communicating with volunteers
- Take Root: Volunteer Management Guidebook
Guide for the many steps of volunteer engagement and management including worksheets to aid in the planning process
- Presentation: Developing a Case Statement for Your Volunteer Program
This presentation details the benefits of developing a case statement, outlines elements of a case statement, and offers some considerations. Additionally, the Case Statement Worksheet suggests a step-by-step process.
- Resource: Sample Grant Language Using TCC Group's CCAT Data
To assist nonprofits in making a compelling case to funders about the effective results of engaging volunteers, Reimagining Service offers sample grant proposal language applying the TCC Group CCAT data.
- Resource Guide for Volunteer Management Funding
Reimagining Service guide that includes materials to assist nonprofits with building the case for the financial support of volunteers as well as sample successful grant proposals.
- Economic Impact of Volunteers Calculator
Online tool to document the economic impact of volunteers
- Volunteer Management Advocacy Kit
Free guide outlining strategies for advocating for and generating support for volunteer management
- UPS Foundation, A Guide to Investing in Volunteer Resources Management: Improve Your Philanthropic Dollar (2002)
A guide that lays out the case to funders for investing in volunteer infrastructure